Following the last unsatisfactory attempt at making the stuffed denim fish dolls, these are my thoughts & what I did about them:
1. The usual notch & clip doesn’t work on denim to create a rounded appearance.
– Used thicker thread for added strength
– Thread in contrast colour to anticipate the showing of the stitches with denser filling material
2. The fishes are way too skinny, need to eat more.
– Increased torso width of the sewing pattern
– Packed stuffing much more tightly
3. Possible change of stuffing.
– Stuffed the softie with 100% upcycled fabric scraps in a mix of woven and knits
4. The fried eggs eyes are hilarious, but, is there more I can do?
Hide the rim under the eye before tacking to the fish face
5. The back fin needs rethinking, they look accidental.
– Drew an extra tab as fins so it looks intentional
6. Fin joint is not holding in position.
– Resolved with stiffer filling material as in point no. 3
7. Overall the reclaimed fabric plushie prototypes lack contrast.
– Use a different reclaimed denim fabric1 with more colour differentiation between warp and weft threads